November 29, 2023
Dear Parents and Guardians,
I am writing to inform you of an important update to the Lafayette School District's Mobile Device policy, which was recently approved by the Governing Board on November 8. These changes aim to create a more focused learning environment for our students.
Goals of the Revised Mobile Device Policy
- To respond to the growing body of research about the negative impact of mobile communication devices on students’ well-being and mental health
- To ensure that all students have access to the technology required to participate in class
- To foster social interaction among students
- To limit on-campus access to potentially harmful electronic content
Overview of the Policy Revisions:
Effective January 8, 2024, the revised mobile device policy will have the following effects:
- Cell phones and other mobile devices put away: There is no change from the current policy regarding cell phones. Students are still required to put them away during the entire school day, from bell to bell.
- iWatches and other smart watches: A new addition to the policy requires that iWatches and similar devices are also put away during the school day.
Teachers’ Discretionary Use of Student’s Personal Devices: Another change in the revised policy is that individual teachers will no longer have the authority to allow the use of personal devices for discretionary reasons. This adjustment is designed to maintain consistency and ensure that the learning environment remains free from unnecessary distractions.
Exceptions to the Rule:
Exceptions to these rules will only be permitted under the following circumstances:
- Emergency Situations: In the case of an emergency, students will be allowed to use their devices.
- Medical Necessity: If a licensed medical provider determines that the possession or use of a device is necessary for the student's health and well-being, an exception will be made.
- Individualized Education Program (IEP) or Health Plan: If a student's individualized education program or individualized health plan requires the possession or use of a device, this will be considered an exception.
We understand that these changes may require an adjustment period, and we appreciate your cooperation and understanding as we strive to provide the best possible learning environment for all students.
If you have any questions or concerns about the revised policy, please do not hesitate to contact us. We value your partnership in fostering a positive and focused educational experience for our students.
Thank you for your attention to this matter.
Lafayette School District